1 May 2021, Saturday
A Singapore-based Chinese Calligrapher who has been practising Chinese Calligraphy since age of 10. Her study of the art has been primarily based off traditional regular script ( 楷书 ), and currently focusing on practice semi-cursive script ( 行书 ). To customise art works for businesses and media, she started to incorporate more of her personal style and creativity to present the ideas behind each topic. She has just attended a series of live calligraphy events for brands like Kiehl’s, Kose and TODs in Singapore.
The Refinery Workspace (115 King George's Ave #03-02)
Chinese Calligraphy writing is a relaxing and therapeutic activity even when you are not familiar with Chinese language! It is more than just a visual art and you have no idea how impactful it is to your life by practicing Chinese Calligraphy regularly. You will get the fundamental techniques to produce your personal art pieces by end of the day.
What will you learn:
- Introduction of The basic strokes in Regular Script. (Why is learning the regular script so critical?)
- The relationship between necessary materials & tools and how do the techniques of brush influence on artistic forms of the characters.
- The proper sitting and standing posture, and the positioning and movement of the wrist while writing.
- Detailed analysis on the combination of various strokes in sample characters: 知足常乐（樂）; emphasis on the regular and semi-cursive scripts. (The transformation of strokes from regular to semi-cursive script)
- The tips on arranging the layout of art piece and slight modification of strokes to create various aesthetic styles.
- *The traditional way of signing off the work with personal stone seal.
Provided Workshop Materials (and to take home!):
- Workshop Content Sheet x 1 set
- Black Ink x 1 bottle
- Wool Brush (羊毫毛笔) x 1
- Ceramic Ink Slab w/ brush holder x 1
- A3-sized Rice Papers (Inclusive of a few pieces for in-class use)
- Black Cloth x 1 (Anti-slip/ Ink Absorbant)
- Decorative Rice Paper Card (38 x 38cm) x 1
*Optional Personalised Chinese Name Stone Seal (2 x 2cm) x 1
- Limited 2 Characters for Chinese
- Up to 3 Characters for Non-Chinese (Translation provided)
*Seals are only applicable for participants who purchased and sign up 2 weeks prior the workshop. Leave your name at 'order note' upon check out!
In order to ensure that our premises comply with the government's recommendations for safe reopening, we are keeping it at a maximum of 6 pax for this session and all studio users must comply with the following:
- Check in and out using the SafeEntry check-in system posted at the studio entrance.
- Compulsory temperature check upon entry.
- Wear masks at all times.
We ask that you refrain from attending this upcoming workshop session if;
- You have travelled in the last 14 days.
- You are feeling unwell.
- You have had a fever of 37.5ºC or higher.
A refund of 50% of the workshop fee will be issued for all the cancellations made in writing and received less than 7 days prior to the workshop date.
Cancellation for your slot for this workshop due to any COVID-19 related reasons would only be allowed full refund at our own discretion on a case-by-case basis.
No refunds or credits will be issued for No Shows on the day of the workshop.